Imagine this. You’re enjoying a crisp apple when you notice a red tinge on the leftover core. Panic sets in as you realize it’s blood. Could it be periodontal disease? Worry not. There’s a beacon of hope, and it’s the best Monterey, CA oral surgery practice. In this blog, we’re going to uncover the mysteries of periodontal disease, its causes, symptoms, and the treatments available. It can be frightening, but the more you know, the better prepared you are. Let’s break it down.
Causes of Periodontal Disease
When it comes to periodontal disease – bacteria are the culprits. They form a sticky, colorless film on your teeth, known as plaque. If not cleaned properly, this plaque can harden under your gum line, causing inflammation and eventually, periodontal disease.
Symptoms to Look Out For
Periodontal disease can be sneaky. Sometimes, you won’t even know you have it until it’s advanced. But there are signs you can watch for:
- Blood on your toothbrush
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bad breath that won’t go away
If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t ignore them. It’s not just about your oral health, periodontal disease can affect your overall health too.
The Best Treatment Options
The good news? Periodontal disease is treatable, especially if you catch it early. Here are the most common treatments:
- Deep Cleaning: This includes scaling and root planing. Scaling scrapes off the tartar from above and below the gum line. Root planing gets rid of rough spots on the tooth root, where germs gather.
- Medications: These can control bacteria and shrink the size of periodontal pockets.
- Surgery: If non-surgical treatments don’t work, surgery may be necessary to reduce pocket depth and repair damaged gums.
Prevention is Key
Prevention is always better than cure. Take good care of your teeth. Brush and floss regularly. Visit your dentist for regular check-ups. And remember, if you suspect periodontal disease, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. It’s your first step in the right direction. Let’s win this fight together.